We all want our furry friends to grow up happy and healthy. With that goal in mind, you should talk to a veterinarian about preventative care. At Callahan Drive Animal Hospital, we present all pet owners in Knoxville with a wide variety of options. Preventative care for pets can be a pretty broad topic. Let’s explore it in greater detail to keep your pet happy and healthy for years to come.
Preventative Care Options for Pets
Preventative care options for pets can provide protection against a wide range of potential health issues. That’s why taking the time to explore those options is highly recommended for all pet owners.
- One of the more common preventative care practices is vaccinations. Vaccines can shield your pets against all kinds of serious diseases, including ones that can be life-threatening. These vaccines are widely available so be sure to get them for your pet.
- Giving your pet heartworm medication is another form of preventative care. The risk of heartworm disease can be more prevalent in certain areas. Consult with our veterinarian and ask if your pet needs that form of protection.
- Even if the risk of your pet getting heartworm disease is not especially high, Dr. Hilla may still recommend giving medication. That’s because heartworm medication is also effective against numerous other parasites.
- Don’t forget about spaying or neutering your pets. Aside from helping keep the animal population under control, spaying and neutering can save your pets from developing certain health problems down the line. Spaying reduces the occurrence of uterine infections in female pets. It also protects against breast cancer. Meanwhile, neutering your pet lowers its odds of eventually developing testicular cancer.
Measures You Can Practice at Home
The job of keeping your pet healthy should not fall squarely on the shoulders of your veterinarian. As a pet owner, you should also take steps to ensure the well-being of your companion.
- Monitoring your pet’s food intake is crucial to keeping it healthy. After asking our veterinarian what food would be best for your pet, you can start offering that regularly. Just make sure to keep the portion sizes under control.
- Home-based preventative care for your pet also involves regular exercise. Take your dog out for regular walks so it can stay in shape.
- Lastly, you should create a safe environment for your pet. Remove any potential hazards in your home as soon as you notice them.
Contact Our Veterinarian in Knoxville, TN
Preventative care for your pet is highly recommended since it is often easier to avoid health issues instead of treating them. If you live in or around Knoxville and would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Hilla, call Callahan Drive Animal Hospital today at (865) 938-0243 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.